0

viewpoint of fiction

 Yesterday our tutor, Leilani, took us to see her latest exhibition at the Fresh Gallery in Otara. Frankly, I loved it. Yup I just wrote frankly...odd. Anyway I've decided today's post will be the response I wrote in my Visual Diary.. Here goes nothing.
Women. Water. And the Moon.
Nga Hau E Wha - The Four Winds by Leilani Kake.
In viewing Leilani's work/exhibit, I felt confronted in a peaceful sort of a way. That may seem to contradict, but it's honest. When I first walked into her exhibition, I felt lost and unsure about my surroundings. It was pitch black and haunting sounds filled the air around me. As I walked around the corner and saw the beautiful moving images on the four walls, I felt a dislike or really a felling of the unknown. I think the bareness and such a stark exposure of the women caused a slight felling of discomfort. But as I looked more, I found I loved it; the water and shadows playing on their bodies was beautiful. I went back to the gallery during lunch by myself, just to experience it alone (I hear you now Jakob, yes I am a freak). I felt surrounded yet so alone in a sort of watery darkness. I focused entirely on each image one at a time. I loved the different figures of the women and how they represent different moon cycles of life or womanhood. It was spooky, yet stunning. The purpose and emotional impact behind Leilani's work leaves you thinking and causes you to consider your own body..

 So yeah, that is my viewpoint of fiction. Lol. I wouldn't mind getting into video installation art, as I find film and television the future of my life. Watch this space I guess. Right that's me for today, I have to go finish a response and also the work I started (previous post). Plus we got a new assignment today... Yay. (half-hearted mousey yay) Got kind of confused when our tutor was explaining it, but yeah, we shall see. Its towards our assessments so its got to be ninja-ristic..yeah.
peace
xo
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top